[Total Time: 7½ hours]
[Total marks: 75]
N. B. 1) All questions are compulsory
2) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
1. A) Choose the correct alternative: (any eight) (8M)
1) _____________number of languages are recognized by the constitution of India.
(18, 22, 24)
2) ________________ State is the home to the largest population of Scheduled Tribes in India .
(Meghalaya, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh)
3) The Eightfold Path, the Four Noble Truths, and the concept of nirvana are associated with the religion of ______________.
(Baha’i, Jainism, Buddhism)
4) The term ‘Secular was added to the Prưumble by the ________________ Amendment.
(40th, 41st 42nd)
5) Untouchability in India is abolished and its practice in any form is prohibited by Article _______________ .(15, 16, 17)
6) The dispute over Chandigarh, Belgaum, Kasargod between related States are examples of ______________. (Regionalista, Linguism, Communalism)
7) PreConception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques et (PCPNDT) is aimed at preventing. _____________ .
(female foeticide, child marriage, maternal mortality)
8) 73rd and 74th Amendments in the Constitution are about __________________.
(Education, age of marriage, local government)
9) According to a report published by the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) and UN Women in March 2017, Indian women participation in politics is _____________________ Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan.
(higher than, lower than, same as)
10) Santhal, Pardhi, Jaintia, Naga are________________.
(Tribes of Indis, Languages of India, textiles of India)
1) B) State whether the following statements are True or False (any seven): (7M)
1) The sex ratio in India shows upward tread according to the 2011 census as compared to 2001 census.
2) More than half of the Scheduled Tribe population is concentrated in Central India.
3) The Indian subcontinent is the birthplace of four of the world’s major religions.
4) Andhra Pradesh was the first state to be carved out on linguistic lines in the country.
5) Dispute over the use of water resources of four important rivers largely Yamuna, Narmada, Krishna, and Kaveri is purely environmental.
6) According to the recent Supreme Court ruling, the legal age of consent across all communities is 18 years.
7) As per the 2011 census, the literacy rate is the lowest among Muslims across religious communities.
8) Preamble reflects the philosophy of the Indian constitution.
9) Discrimination based on religion is unconstitutional.
10) Provision for the education of the child by parent or guardian is one of the Fundamental Duties
Q. 2) A) Discuss the causes for gender disparity and violence against women in India. (15M)
Q. 2) B) Comment on the problems of persons with disabilities in India.
Q. 3) A) Discuss the reasons for communal violence in modern India. Substantiate your answer with examples. (15M)
Q. 3) B) “Issues related to regionalism are integral to India’. Comment.
Q. 4 A Discuss any six basic features of the Indian Constitution. (15M)
Q. 4) B) Comment on the Fundamental Duties mentioned in the Indian constitution.
Q. 5) A) Discuss the way in which democratic participation is ensured at the grassroots level by the 73rd and 74th Amendments to the Indian constitution. (15M)
Q. 5) B) Write short notes on any three of the following:
1) Concept of Diversity as core strength for the nation
2) Characteristics of tribal societies in India.
3) Women in politics
4) Ways to achieve communal harmony
5) Concept of Local Government