Time: 2 hours
Maximum marks: 40
1. All questions carry marks as indicated.
2. Solve Question 1 OR Questions No. 2.
3. Solve Question 3 OR Questions No. 4.
4. Solve Question 5 OR Questions No. 6.
5. Solve Question 7 OR Questions No. 8.
6. Due credit will be given to neatness and adequate dimensions.
7. Assume suitable data whenever necessary.
8. Illustrate your answers whenever necessary with the help of neat sketches.
9. Use of non programmable calculator is permitted.
10. Discuss the reaction, mechanism wherever I necessary.
1. (A) Calculate the gross and net calorific value of coal having the following composition : C = 80%, H = 8%, S = 1%, N = 2% and ash = 6% using Dulong’s Formula. Given : Latent Heat of steam = 587 cal/g. [4M]
(B) Discuss following non-conventional ener’ sources w.r.t. applications and advantages : [4M]
(C) How does % of carbon and ash in coal affect the quality of coal ? [2M]
2. (A) Explain the determination of calorific value of gaseous fuel by using Boy’s gas calorimeter. [4M]
(B) What are Rocket propellants ? Explain the mechanism of rocket propulsion. [3M]
(C) Write an informative note on Bio-Diesel. [3M]
3. (A) A producer gas has the following % composition by volume : CH4 = 3.5%, CO = 25%,
H2 = 10%, CO2 = 10.8% aid N2 = 50.7%. Calculate :
i)The theoretical quantity of air required to burn 1 m3 of above gas at N.T.P. [4M]
ii)The volume composition of dry-products of combustion formed, if 25% excess air is used for combustion. [4M]
(B) Explain knocking in Diesel engine. How is it related to chemical structure of Fuel ? [4M]
4. (A) What is catalytic cracking ? Explain moving bed catalytic cracking with neat sketch. [5M]
(B) Define : Octane no. and cetane no. How and cetane no. can be improved ? [3M]
(C) Draw a neat and labelled diagram of fractionating tower used for the fractional distillation of crude oil.
Enlist various fractions obtained during fractional distillation with their boiling range and uses. [4M]
5. (A) Discuss Boundary film lubrication mechanism. [3M]
(B) Give the significance of the following properties of lubricating oils : [3M]
i)Cloud and Pour point
(C) An oil sample under test has saybolt universal viscosity same as that of low standard Gulf oil and high standard Pennsylvanian oil at 210 F. Their viscosities at 100 F 61, 758 and 420 SUS respectively. Calculate V.I. of given oil. [2M]
6. (A) What are Greases ? Under what operating conditions are they preferred ? [3M]
(B) Write short notes on (any TWO) [5M]
ii)Graphite as a lubricant
7. (A) What are Nanomaterials ? Give the applications of nanomaterials in the fields of medicine and electronics. [4M]
(B) What are composite materials ? Give the general. classification of composite materials. Enlist any two uses of each type. [4M]
(C) Give the application of Liquid crystal polymers. [2M]
8. (A) ‘What are carborinanditubes ? Give their types. [2M]
(B) Give an account of synthesis, properties and applications of Polypyrrole conducting polymer. [4M]
(C) Enlist the applications of poly caprolactone biodegradable polymer. Also give its synthesis and properties. [4M]