B.E. All Branches Second Semester (C.B.S.) / B.E. (Fire Engineering) Second Semester
Advanced Electrical Engineering
1. a) Explain the necessity of equipment earthing. Explain Pipe type Earthing.
b) Write comparison between overhead and underground distribution system.
2. a) Draw a neat single line diagram for generation, transmission and distribution through
different voltage levels at each point.
b) What do you mean by Fuse? ‘Explain Rewirable and HRC fuses.
3. a) State the functions of following DC machine parts.
3) Armature winding
b) A 4 pole lap connected generator has 80 slots with 10 conductor per slot rotates at 1000
rpm which induces 400 V. At what speed generator is rotate when it induces 200V.
4. a) Derive torque equation of a D.C. motor. 5
b) A 4 pole lap wound shunt motor consumes 20A at terminal voltage of 250V. It has a field
and armature resistance of 50Ω and 0.05Ω respectively. Neglecting brush drop Determine
i) Armature current ii) Emf induced
5. a) Explain the working & construction of mercury vapour lamp. 5
b) Define the following terms.
i) Luminous flux ii) Luminous intensity
iii) Luminous efficiency iv) Candle power
6. a) What are different types of tariff ? Explain one part tariff?
b) A consumer has following load schedule for a day.
i) From midnight 12pm to 6am = 200 watt
ii) From 6 am to 12 noon = 3000 watt
iii) From 12. noon to 1 pm = 100 watt
iv) From 1 pm to 4 pm = 4000 watt
v) From 4 pm to 9 pm = 2000 watt
vi) From 9 pm to midnight 12 = 4000 watt
If the tariff is 35 paise / kwh. Find the daily bill the consumer has to pay.
7. a) Explain torque-slip characteristics of 3 phase induction motor. 5
b) Explain the working & construction of shaded pole single phase induction motor. 5
8. a) Write comparison between squirrel cage and slip ring Induction motor. 5
b) A 3 – 16, Pole Induction motor having synchronous speed of 400 rpm and rotor speed of
ii) Rotor frequency
iii) Stand still frequency
v) Slip speed.